Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Economic Side of Halloween

Tomorrow is the last day of October, which is also Halloween. Although I will not be trick-or-treating, I will not be completely out of the festivities. I will most likely be answering the door for the trick-or-treaters that are brave enough to ring the doorbell (my mom put up spooky decorations. I was too scared to use the front door for a week). Every kid out there knows that it's all about the candy. This may be one of the only times when its quantity over quality. Only the coolest kids fill up their buckets of candy all the way.  And its usually the ones that think like an economist that recieve the most candy. This is my guide to getting the most candy.
       First things first; door etiquitte. Kids should travel in groups, but not too big of groups. I would say about four to five kids is a solid number. Tomorrow, if I see eight kids come up to my door at a time, I'll be more reluctant to hand out a lot of candy to each kid because I'll be afraid that I might run out later in the night. If I see just a few kids walking up, I'll hook it up with a handful of candy for each of them. Also, the golden rule is, no one is getting candy unless they say "Trick-or-Treat!"  There are certain traditions that are worth keeping around. I'm giving out free candy here, the least the kids can do is say those three magic words. Saying "thank you" never ever hurts either. The face-to-face confrontation is huge when trying to get the most candy possible.
       The person giving out candy wants to be impressed by the costume.  The more effort that goes into your costume, the more candy you'll get. If a kid goes as a ghost with a bed sheet over their head, they are getting a jolly rancher from me. Creativity, originality and funniness all are contributing factors for those of you still trying to find a costume.
       Arguably the most important intangible is the planning of your route ahead of time.  Efficiency is key.  It is crucial not to waste time deciding whether to make a right or a left at a fork in the road while trick-or-treating. Mapping out the route can eliminate this risk easily, leading to more time for the candy income. Move quickly, and bring a hat, gloves, and a water bottle so there's no need to stop at home for anything.
       Of course, I will be passing this information onto my little brother. He will be sharing with me, he just doesn't know it yet.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog Drew! I agree with your theories and glad to see you have great Halloween spirit!

    ReplyDelete